I was featured on the Canadian Living blog today!!! I enjoy the Canadian Living craft blog and was so excited when I was asked to contribute! On top of the interview, I also created a tutorial for a laptop cozy made from a recycled wool sweater.
This is the laptop sweater my new (to me) MacBook travels in every day. I’ve had a lot of positive comments on it, and once the sweater is felted, you can whip one up in less than an hour. So hop on over and learn how to make your own!
It’s been an exciting day!Read More
I’m back! We had a wonderful time away on what was, in all respects, a magical vacation. There is lots to tell, but I haven’t even had a moment to look at the photos we took yet.
In the meantime, I had the delight of coming home and bringing this lovely lady to life. Seriously, is there anything as sweet as these drawings created by the littlest of hands?
Although the crown wasn’t necessarily part of the drawing, we decided that this pink friend deserved to be a princess. The crown certainly looks like it belongs on her head, doesn’t it? I personally find her smile and shape irresistible and am pretty sure that she must give wonderful hugs! She is anxious to be on her way to meet her very best friend, the one who drew her pretty picture. Bon voyage, sweet princess!Read More
Looking back at my blog posts over the last few months it might seem to you that I do nothing but sew cute cuddly create-a-creatures. And although that part of my life and business seems to have grown exponentially and taken up a larger portion of my time – I really have been doing more than just sewing!
And so, as friends who have been out of touch for awhile, let’s get caught up! Here’s what’s been happening in my neck of the woods:
1. I am teaching Kindergarten again, which I love. This year I started a class blog (for parents of students only – sorry) and I love, love, love being able to share all of the crazy, happy, exciting moments of our days together. One of my favourites from the past few weeks was creating a blizzard in the gym using crumpled up pieces of scrap paper. One of my students said “This is the best day ever!” I love hearing that!
2. I have just started reading this book. I have had a hold on it at the library for so long that I can no longer remember who recommended it to me or why I wanted to read it. What I’ve read so far makes sense, but the jury is still out…
3. This song has become one of my favourites. I love the imagery in it. Wow.
4. I have discovered that I love green smoothies. It’s funny how your tastes change over time. My current favourite mixture is kale, frozen peaches, spirulina, a little maple syrup, and almond or coconut milk. It’s very green, but good.
5. I feel like I have become an expert in Disney World vacations – and I haven’t even been yet! I read this book and this book cover to cover. I never knew there was so much attention to detail in the parks, I guess as a kid you don’t really notice or remember those things. I am looking forward to experiencing it all as an adult.
6. Truth be told, I really have been spending most of my time sewing creatures, and I love it. But I am also hoping to take some time to finish up some other projects I started last year (um…yeah..and some I started the year before that.) This year I have vowed to not buy any new fabric until I finish up old projects – it’s only February and it has already been a hard promise to keep! But there are several of those old projects that I am really looking forward to finishing and hopefully can share with you soon! In the meantime, one of my current favourite custom pieces. I love the ruffles on the dress!
And now it’s your turn! What’s been happening with you these last few months? Any exciting books, or songs, or projects on the go?
After yesterday’s post, I thought I had better hop over here and post something a little brighter.
These past two days I have been sewing non-stop, and here are the fruits of my labours:
This is definitely one of my new favourites!
This one was fashioned after a real dog!
I love the unicorn horn on top of his head!
And a striped kitty!
I made two others today, but not before the light was gone. I’ll save those for another day!Read More
There are days when my thoughts come tumbling out in a torrent of words, sentences and paragraphs. And days, like today, when they appear in the snippets and imagery of a poem. I talk a lot about joy on this blog – and oh there is so much joy in this world. But on the other side there is grief, sorrow, loss. I think we feel joy more keenly when we have known what it is to grieve, though it makes the road no easier to travel. And so I share this with you, not to wallow in the losses that this world brings, but as a way to ride together the waves which no one who has loved will escape.
Grief comes in waves.
Days where the sun shines
grass is green
the water as calm as glass.
And then a little thing
And the tsunami breaks over
and we are once again swimming
forever can not come soon enough.
How does one keep going without the ones we have loved?
The waves pass
we know that years will pass
and by a strength larger than ourselves
we put one foot in front of the other
And the days when the waters reach over our heads
and sorrow threatens to drown us
and longing for what we have lost grips our heart
a Strong Hand reaches out and whispers
and though we may never learn to ride the waves
we know the one who stills them.
Grief comes in waves
joy the outbreaks between them
and our love for those we have lost
never wavers.Read More
Some people say that as you get older, time seems to go faster. Well, I am not that old, but I can’t imagine a month flying by faster than this past January. Despite the weeks of cold weather, in a month that often drags by, I just looked at the calendar and can’t believe that we are well into February now.
Where did that time go?
Well, for one thing I have been busy with custom creatures. At the moment I am accepting new orders to be started in April! I have never had a waiting list before which is both exciting and overwhelming. Sometimes I wish I had the time to tackle every new project right now!
I have still been working my way through orders for the children’s camp, and I finally updated my Flickr page to showcase all of the creatures I have created so far. It’s become quite a little collection. I have been enjoying making the little creatures for the camp so much I think I might add this smaller option to the shop this spring – stay tuned for details!
And in between all that I squeezed in a custom baby toy. This little guy was fashioned after a favourite childhood toy of a woman who is now expecting her first baby. What a unique and special baby shower gift this will be! I can see why she must have liked it so much – this inside-at-night photo doesn’t quite do it justice – it’s a pretty cute toy!
In the midst of all of this creature craziness we have also been busy planning a trip to The Happiest Place on Earth. I haven’t been since I was a young child and my husband has never been, and we are so excited to be sharing in the magic with our very best friends and their two girls. I’m not sure who is more excited – the adults or the kids, and I think it might be the adults! In the midst of one of the coldest winters in recent memory, I must admit I am also looking forward to going somewhere warm!
Does anyone else find the time flying by? What projects are keeping you busy?
I know I have been absent from the blog a lot lately. It has been a busy start to the new year! I am still working my way through the custom creature order for the children’s camp. I find that the more I do, the more I learn, and the more I am able to add to each creature. This lot includes quite a bit of hand-sewing as well as embroidery and special fabrics.
I truly do have a wonderfully fun job!Read More