I’ve made it through another week of the sewing challenge! And I was the winner this week, too! 🙂 This was one of the hardest weeks yet as other commitments kept me out of the sewing room, but I still managed to use 10 yards of fabric! (Were you able to guess which projects were mine? Or perhaps you just recognize my deck and kitchen floor, which always seem to be the backdrop for my sewing photos! ) 🙂
First up for a kite-flying theme – a kite, of course! I used this tutorial with a few modifications. The red and yellow quilt squares were found in my grandmother’s scrap bin (which is now my scrap bin), and were leftovers from a quilt she made for one of my cousins. I used scraps from other projects to fill in the gaps and I love how bright and colourful it is. In keeping with the colourful theme I sewed together all of my bias-binding scraps to bind the outside. The kite is strengthened with wood dowel and I tied some grosgrain ribbon on the end.
I’m not sure how well it will fly – but it’s pretty to look at!
Next came this “springy” fleece vest. The idea came from “Sew What! Fleece” but I learned from my last attempt at vest-making and added a much deeper neck-curve at the front, curves on the sides, added a proper hood, and lined the whole thing. The hood lining is the only thing I saved from the failed project I mentioned last week (a beautiful Ottobre coat that ended up a size too small…) and I love the blue and green together. This vest reminds me just how far I have come as a seamstress – I lined it, added lined pockets, changed the hood, and put in a zipper without a pattern or instructions. The mere idea would have freaked me out only a short year ago.
And finally, I created a kite-inspired picnic quilt! This started as a completely different kind of quilt altogether, but it just wasn’t working the way I though it should, so at the last minute (6 hours before I had to submit my photos!) I scrapped it and started all over again. The quilt is backed with a heavy wool fabric, which gives it a beautiful weight that I think will be perfect for laying on the ground. The quilt is a good size (60 x 72) which leaves lots of room for the picnic basket, cooler, and stretching out with a good book. The kite is appliqued, the skite tring is hand-embroidered, and the quilt is tied together (which I don’t normally do, but I thought it was fitting for a picnic quilt.) I am really happy with the way it turned out and can’t wait for the warm weather to come so we can test it out! Not bad for an evening’s work…. 🙂
So now it is on to week 5. This week is a pattern show down. All the contestants have been given a copy of the same pattern and we have a week to make it our own. Time to put all my new sewing skills to the test! Thanks for all of your votes and support!