I have completed my first UFO of the year! I had grand plans to finish one of the big quilts this month, but after opening the shop and then making the top and the dress, I found the month was quickly getting away from me!
So I chose a small UFO to finish. It was one I actually didn’t know I had until I opened a drawer looking for something else, and there it was. This was another unfinished project of my grandmother’s (those UFO’s do like to travel) and I had obviously tucked it away because at the time I didn’t know how to finish it.
This is what it looked like straight out of the drawer.
I can see why she abandoned it. The final border is so stretched and crooked that it would definitely bunch up and wrinkle if you tried to quilt this and add binding. The whole think looked like it was in need of a good iron.
I soon discovered why….
The quilt was made with the foundation technique (like paper piecing but using interfacing instead of paper). My grandmother must have been low on supplies because she used fusible interfacing on this one – sticky side down. Which meant that when I went to iron down the seams, all I got was a sticky mess on the bottom of my (brand new) iron. I turned it over and did the best I could from the front.
Then I removed the border. It was broadcloth, too thin and flimsy to help this quilt keep its shape. Luckily I also inherited my grandmother’s fabric stash along with the UFOs and was able to find a matching fabric for the border.
I quilted around the hat, quilt, and inside border, and used another matching fabric for the binding.
I’m pretty pleased with how this turned out. I wish my grandmother could see her work and mine combined! (Although she might give me a lecture on how quilting by machine isn’t really quilting at all so perhaps it’s just as well…. 🙂 )