Facing your Fears

On a personality scale, I am definitely more of the fearful/anxious type.  I was the type of kid who would watch her friends ride the amusement park ride 20 times before getting the nerve to go on it myself.  I read book after book about horses, wanted nothing more than to ride my own horse, but when given the opportunity to pet a real, live, horse I dug in my heels and wouldn’t budge.  I still remember my grandmother’s hand on my back trying to push me closer and closer to the horse.

Perhaps it is because of my wild imagination.  I could easily imagine that horse turning to bite me, or swinging his rump around to kick me across the room.  I could imagine it so clearly I could even see the looks on the faces of the people around me when it happened.

Or perhaps it is what scientists have come to discover about introverted personalities, that my brain creates brain chemicals differently than extroverts and thrill-seekers.  I get enough of an adrenaline rush just sitting around reading books, thank you very much! :)

Regardless of why, being a fearful sort of person does make it difficult to fully experience all that life has to offer.  I have had to learn in my life the art of being fearful, but doing things anyway.   On the positive side, there is always a great sense of accomplishment on the other side.  When you do the things you fear, you become a stronger person.

But there are holdouts.  Things in my life that I have been afraid to do for so long that they seem insurmountable.

One of those things is learning how to drive a car.

Yes, I am a woman in my 30s who does not have a driver’s license.

Truth be told this was not really a huge issue when I was living in the city.  It was really easy to just hop on the bus (the stop was right across from my house) and there were numerous connections to trains and subways if I needed to get further.  Even my own two feet could get me to a whole host of places within relatively few minutes.

But there are no buses to take where I live now, no trains, and no subway system anywhere in the entire province!  And very few places are within reasonable walking distance.

So I need to learn to drive.

And I know it will be ok once I get started.  With fear, usually the first step is the hardest.

Do you have things in your life that you are afraid to do?   Take a step towards it today and together we will conquer our fears!

When I am most afraid I remember this:

“I sought the LORD, and he heard me, and delivered me from all my fears” (Psalm 34:4)

“I can do everything through him who gives me strength” (Philippians 4:13).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

10 thoughts on “Facing your Fears

1. Cindy (FarmgirlCyn)

I also did not get my drivers license till I was in my 30′s! (and I don’t ride on amusement park rides, either!) I started out slow. Practicing right in my small neighborhood, getting the “feel” of driving. I expanded gradually, then as my confidence grew I drove out further and further. I was afraid of even sneezing while driving, cause what if I lost control? I am now in my later 50′s and can honestly say I still don’t enjoy driving. I do not like highway/freeway driving, and only do it when I have to. I don’t drive if there is much snow on the road, and that means I don’t drive much in the winter, what with living in Michigan! But that still frees me to do a lot of driving. I am a control freak type of gal, and I would rather be behind the wheel, than have someone else drive. And yes, you can do ALL things thru Christ, who strengthens you!

2. Sara

For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline. 2Timothy 1:7

This is a great piece of scripture to live by daily!

You are going to do great at driving!

3. The Hungry Crafter

Andi, every time I read your blog, I find another thing in common! I’m 35 (rapidly closing in on 36, to the tune of two weeks away…) and don’t drive. Terrified of it. I have my license but still won’t do it! (I actually had a car and drove for one summer when I was 20) Funny thing is, my biggest incentive to start driving is so I can take myself to the fabric store and stay as long as I want… :) I will be thinking of you, and wish you all the best of luck. Perhaps you will motivate me!

1. Andi Post author

Being able to drive to the fabric store is definitely good motivation! Let me know if you do it so I can cheer for you!

4. byneedleandthread

I just turned 30 in december and I also do no have my drivers license. The thought of driving terrifies me. Not to mention I can’t imagine the cost of us having two cars, parking, insurance etc. but mostly it terrifies me.

We used to live in ottawa and just moved to whitby, ontario which is much smaller and I am having the same issues with lack of transportation. While there are buses here, it’s nothing like ottawa. I might just have to suck it up, and go for it. eeks.

5. smalltowngirl

You’ll be fine. I never really wanted to drive. At 17 my Dad put me in the car and drove me to take my learner’s test… he never told me where we were going until we were on our way there… and then he quizzed me on the way. Then my parents gave me driving lessons for Christmas!! Haha! I didn’t really have a choice. I am still a nervous driver to this day though.

I know you can do it! Go, Andi, Go! :)

6. Pingback: Facing Fears – Etsy Shop « Laundry on the Line

7. Jennie

Good evening, Andrea! Wow! You have really been a prolific blogger during the last few weeks! I am sorry that I am behind on reading and commenting on your blog posts. You know (better than I do) what it’s like to teach full-time, so planning and teaching my twelve Grade One, Two, Three and Four drama/dance/music classes has been consuming most of my time. I have 225 report cards (times three subjects) due by Feb. 4….This weekend will be a report card writing weekend! Ironic…speaking of facing one’s fears…This is my fifth time writing report cards, and I feel even more overwhelmed than before…

Andrea, where do you get your energy to teach full-time, and be a wife, cook, gardener, craftswoman and blogger? Do you have any nutritional or exercise secrets? I think you should be renamed “Super Woman!” You could even sew yourself a special cape! You are more productive than any of my other friends!

1. Andi Post author

Too funny! I once had a co-worker at camp who gave me that same nickname! :) I am afraid I am not the one to give out excercise secrets, other than, play and move when the kids do! You don’t have to find time in your schedule, it’s fun, and it builds great relationships with your students! As for doing all that I do, it is about choices and compromises. I try and make the most of every minute, although I have also had to learn to allow myself to take breaks, too.

Good luck with your reports! I just finished mine. I don’t know if they ever get easier….